Old Medical Building
The massive Medical Building of the old Jersey City Medical Center complex was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the Great Depression. The building, which faces Baldwin Avenue in the northwest corner of the Medical Center grounds, served as the primary entrance and lobby for the complex.
The building possesses a 1936 cornerstone and was completed in 1938. The building possesses many Deco motifs and is connected to two other buildings on the complex with wings (one five stories tall).
A cascading retaining pool lies in front of the building’s old main entrance, which finishes with a 15-foot decorative pillar; the gates, just beyond the pool, are flanked by 12-foot “gateposts”.
The building now serves as part of the privately-owned Beacon residential complex.
National Register of Historic Places: http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/85003057.pdf http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/pages/m_pages/Medical_Center_Complex.htm
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 1, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE