Old Jersey City Medical Center
The old Jersey City Medical Center complex along Montgomery Avenue was constructed in stages beginning in 1928. Several buildings at the facility were constructed as part of federal Public Works Administration projects during the Great Depression. NJCU.edu: “After its completion in 1941, the Medical Center was the third largest health care facility in the world.” Medical institutions including the B.S. Pollak Hospital and Margaret Hague Maternity Hospital contributed to the larger Jersey City Medical Center complex. The buildings that contributed to the Medical Center have all since been re-purposed; most are now privately owned and used for housing, with the bulk of the former complex now known as The Beacon.
“The Jersey City Medical Center included such architectural and designer trappings as marble walls, terrazzo floors, etched glass, decorative moldings and glittering chandeliers, and had one of the most famous maternity wards in the country – the Margaret Hague Maternity Hospital. The formal dedication of the Medical Center Complex, the B. S. Pollack Hospital, was on October 2, 1936, with Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicating the building.” (Wikipedia)
https://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/pages/m_pages/Medical_Center_Complex.htm https://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/85003057.pdf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon,_Jersey_City https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/nyregion/long-island/19Rwpa.html
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 27, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE