The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the old Homicide Court Building at 33-to-35 Snyder Ave.
The Homicide Court Building referred to was a 1929 addition to a structure built in 1875 as the Flatbush Town Hall:
“When Flatbush and the rest of Brooklyn became part of New York City in 1894, the Town Hall became a police precinct headquarters and the 7th District Magistrate’s Court. In 1929, an addition was built to house the Homicide Court, until the courts were centralized, and the building was home to the 67th Precinct until they moved out in 1972. The building remained empty for many years, and was empty when it was designated a landmark in 1973. Fortunately, unlike some of the city’s warehoused treasures, today it is again in use, as part of the NYC public school system.” (www.brownstoner.com)
National Archives RG 69: Records of the Work Projects Administration [WPA]; Project Files; New York City (E 407); box 684; roll 3643; Official Project No. 65-97-43[?]. Building of the Day: 35 Snyder Avenue
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 24, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE