A 1934 addition to Emporia, Virginia’s old Greensville County Training School was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA contributed $16,957 toward the project, whose final cost was $56,533. (PWA Docket No. VA 3495.)
According to a National Register of Historic Places registration form:
“In 1934, an 8 by 12 foot addition containing classrooms was built onto the rear west wing of the building.”
The building, abandoned, has had its roof fall in and its windows boarded up. Its future is uncertain.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 118. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Cities/Emporia/109-5001_GreensvilleCoTrainingSch_2006_NRfinal.pdf (page 5)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 1, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE