Firehouse MuseumThe former city hall and fire station.
WPA funds in the amount of $4,711 were appropriated for the construction of the City Hall in 1940. The cost of the building was estimated at $8,100. The building is two stories, of natural stone, and contains a garage for two fire trucks. The second floor was utilized as an auditorium and city offices were on the first floor.
The building currently serves as the Fire Station Museum.
Teague, C. & Bush-Reves, L. (n.d.) Main Street Matters: Spotlight on Mount Vernon. Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved from www.thc.state.tx.us. Mount Vernon: A Northeast Texas Treasure. (n.d.) Texas Forest Trail/Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved from texasforesttrail.com. “City Hall Project for Mt. Vernon Approved.” The Paris News, (Paris, Texas), 21 April 1940, p. 3
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 22, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE