The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) provided labor for the renovation of Asheville’s old Station 5 firehouse, in Biltmore Village. The building, which served as a fire station until 1975, is now privately owned.
“Under project No. 11B-B4-24, the Biltmore fire station, just out of Asheville, Buncombe County, was completely renovated. The truck room has been enlarged to accommodate two trucks, the living quarters for the firemen have been replastered and redecorated, and the old and unsanitary plumbing has been brought up to date. These improvements were much needed to bring this fire station up to date and provide adequate quarters for the firemen.”
Legeros: “Station 5 opened on August 29, 1929. Within a few years, the rear garage was enlarged and expanded …”
Emergency Relief in North Carolina. A Record of the Development and the Activities of the North Carolina Emergency Relief Administration, 1932-1935. North Carolina Emergency Relief Commission, State administrator, Mrs. Thomas O'Berry (pp. 181, 457): https://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/emergencyrelief/emergencyrelief.html (accessed Jun. 22, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 22, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE