Old Emporia Armory
Emporia, Virginia’s historic National Guard armory building was constructed with federal funds and labor. The building, presently owned by Greensville County, also served as a school gymnasium. It has housed operations for the local chapter of the Boys & Girls Club of America since the late 1990s. Local sources state that the armory was constructed in 1936 by the Army Corps of Engineers and was “built to last.”
According to a National Register of Historic Places registration form:
“The Emporia Armory … is located at the northernmost edge of the historic district. … This building is 11 bays wide and is two stories in height. The building is constructed in a Flemish bond brick pattern. Ornamentation on the façade includes two carved panels with an eagle holding a rifle in its talons.”
Local sources. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Cities/Emporia/109-0019_Hicksford_HD_2007_NRfinal.pdf (page 8)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 2, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE