Project type: Parks and Recreation, Playgrounds
Site Survival: No Longer ExtantView Project in a Separate Window
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed East Newark’s first playground. The 50′-by-100′ facility opened July 13, 1936. Located on Searing Avenue between Passaic and Grant Avenues, the playground is no longer extant.
"The Dawn," a New Jersey WPA publication; August 1936 issue, page 16. Found at the Jersey City Public Library's New Jersey Room. "East Newark Opens Field"; Star-Eagle, Newark, NJ, July 14, 1936.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 10, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE