Community Center - Midvale UT
The Midvale Community Center was built as the town’s City Hall in 1939. Construction was supported by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant of $31,500 and a city bond of $38,500. The Midvale City Hall was one of over 240 buildings constructed in the state under the New Deal, and one of 20 in Salt Lake County, according to the State Historical Office plaque.
It is a two-story brick building with parapeted gable roof in the Art Moderne style, designed by prominent Utah architects Clark W. Scott and George W. Welch. Characteristic of the Modern style is the streamlined appearance achieved by the curved windows and rounded corners of the entry, extensive use of glass block, and curved capitals on the buttresses along the side walls.
The Midvale City Hall was the center of local government and community activities from 1939 to 1976 and housed the clerk’s office, city council chambers, city fire and police departments, a public auditorium and recreation rooms. The building presently houses Midvale’s Performing Arts and Community Center. The interior foyer appears to be in original condition (we were not able to access the rest of the building).
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
PWA Docket No. X1186
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 210.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 23, 2016.
Additional contributions by Joan Greer.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE