The annex to Bayonne, New Jersey’s old City Hall was town down by federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers. The building had been condemned, was in danger of collapsing, and the job of demolition was deemed “imperative” by Bayonne’s Evening Times. The paper continued, “no one who saw the City Hall annex in recent years will have anything but applause for the assignment of these relief workers.”
The annex was in fact an addition to the west side of Bayonne’s City Hall, which was located at Avenue E and 30th St.
"The Dawn," a New Jersey WPA publication; May 1936 issue, page 7. Found at the Jersey City Public Library's New Jersey Room. "A Sore Spot Remedied"; Bayonne Evening Times, Apr. 18, 1936.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 4, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE