The WPA and NYA worked to construct a large wading pool in what is now known as Carver Park, in 1936. The pool is no longer extant. Paterson, New Jersey’s Evening News wrote on May 8, 1936:
Thirty Negro workers of the National Youth Administration pulled the last piece of brush from a 5-lot tract at the corner of Second and Clay streets today, and began the second half of excavation for a wading pool 315 feet in circumference.
The work is part of a WPA project, sponsored by the city. Workers there reported the five lots cleared and a 155-foot ditch already dug. The pool will be one of the largest in this section …
It will be the principal attraction. In its center will be a small treed island. Slides, swings, and similar outdoor paraphernalia will be contributed by the city. The land, which has been idle for many years, is city owned.”
"The Dawn," a New Jersey WPA publication; June 1936 issue, page 14. Found at the Jersey City Public Library's New Jersey Room. "WPA Workers Clear Tract for City Pool"; Evening News, Paterson, NJ, May 8, 1936.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 7, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE