The former state capitol was one of 20 state institution renovations completed in 1934. In August, funds were approved in the amount of $200,000 by Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and supplemented with a $200,000 allocation by the Mississippi legislature. Improvements at the old and new capitols were part of the project. Painting and redecoration of the woodwork, new roof, and paving of curbs, gutters, and driveways was completed for the old building.
The old capitol building was allotted $5,459.84 for painting and widening and paving driveways, and paving curbs and gutters.
State colleges allotted funds. (Aug. 17, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 18.
$220,000 is expended on state repair work for first two months. (Sep. 28, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 18.
State buildings benefitting by program of repairs and improvements. (Oct. 7, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 46.
Allocation of funds is made. (Oct. 11, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 14.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 3, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE