Illustration, PWA addition at rightState Archives of Florida: Collection M82-007, box 1. Processed by Evan Kalish, 2016-8.
Florida’s former State Capitol (commonly known as the Old Capitol) received an addition as part of a New Deal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The enlargement was a wing at the north end of the Capitol.
Florida Memory: “The Florida State Capitol enlargement in 1936-1937 was a joint project between the Florida Construction Program and the Public Works Administration. M. Leo Elliott, Architect, of Tampa, Florida, was responsible for the architectural drawings and plans for the Capitol project.”
The PWA supplied an $112,347 grant toward the project, whose total cost was $261,382. Construction began Sept. 29, 1936 and was completed Oct. 26, 1937. (PWA Docket No. FL 1166-R.)
This was one of several enlargements of the former State Capitol building. The building was later “restored to its 1902 state,” meaning the PWA addition is no longer extant.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 91.
State Archives of Florida, Series 450: PWA Work Project Files, Box 1.
Illustration at Old Capitol, highlighted by security guard with laser pointer
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 12, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE