Atlanta Miller Grade SchoolPhoto: Kevin Stingley © All Rights Reserved
The Atlanta Miller Grade School was a Works Progress Administration project taking 120 days to complete. Hardy Brothers of Texarkana began construction of the one-story, six-room building in 1936.
Text from the state historical marker at the site reads:
Atlanta-Miller Grade School. Public education in Atlanta dates to 1874. Prior to the civil rights era of the mid-20th century, separate schools served Anglo and African American students. The school at this site, known initially as Atlanta Grade School, was built for white students in 1936 with federal funding through the Works Progress Administration. Due to high enrollment, building additions were completed over the years. Known later as Miller Grade School, the facility was integrated in 1970 and remained in use as a public school until 1974. It was used for various services through the 1990s. A group of citizens concerned about its preservation purchased the building from the school district in 2001. (2006)
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on March 29, 2015.
Additional contributions by Kevin Stingley, July 2018.