Guntersville Armory (Museum)Back of building
The Guntersville Armory was constructed in 1936 under President Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration. The project was a collaboration between the WPA and the Public Works Administration.
The armory was constructed to house Company E of the 167th Infantry of the Alabama National Guard. Our local congressman, Joe Starnes, a member of the Armed Services Committee, was very influential in a national armory construction program. His perseverance led to the construction of numerous armories across the country as well as our own.
After its completion in 1936, the armory was used for drills, training, and classroom instruction. President Roosevelt called the Guard to active duty in 1940 and while the 167th Infantry was away during WWII, the local home guard trained in the facility. Upon their return, the 167th used the building for training until they were called to the Korean War.
A new armory was constructed elsewhere in the 1970s and the old building was turned over to the city of Guntersville. It was used as the local fire station until the mid-1980s and after renovation in 2006 the Guntersville Museum was relocated here. The old rock armory building is now listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on February 14, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE