Okmulgee National Guard Armory Entrance
“Located at the northwest corner of W. 2nd and Alabama Streets, west of downtown Okmulgee, this armory was built by the WPA and completed in 1936. It was constructed of native limestone, quarried nearby and gave work to between 300 and 400 local workers, bringing $68,000 into the economy of the town. It housed Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion, 179th Infantry and also Company K, 179th Infantry of the 45th Infantry Division. Uniquely, members of Company K helped with the building, providing 6000 hours of labor in construction and landscaping of their new home.
As is the case in most of the WPA-built armories in Oklahoma, the building is in three sections: A center section has a barrel roof and serves as the drill hall. This portion is 85 ft. x 125 ft. Two flat-roofed sections extend north and south, comprising offices, supply rooms, a garage, and arms storage.
The building faces East. There are stepped parapets over each of the entries, with projected pilasters at the corners, which rise to form square-topped towers. Some lights were on inside and a car or two was in the drive, so it appears the building is used in some way and no longer Vacant, as shown in the Register nomination in 1999.
The limestone blocks are set in irregular courses, perhaps due to the inexperience of the WPA laborers. Narrow panels of smooth stone blocks are set above the windows.
A cornerstone located at the northeast corner of the drill hall reads: “WPA 1936 / Gen. W. S. Key Administrator / Major Bryan W. Nolan Architect / W. E. Wood District Admin. / Harry V. Crull Supt. A second cornerstone at the southeast corner reads: “Sponsored by Oklahoma National Guard / Gen. Chas. F. Barrett Adjutant General / Capt. Elmer C. Croom Commanding Troops.”
Above the main entrance are engraved granite blocks. One shows a Plains Indian profile in full headdress. Below that a shield with crossed tomahawk and peace pipe and the words “in omnia paratus” (prepared for all things). Surrounding these are four granite blocks – “Armory” above, “Oklahoma” to the left, “National” to the right, and “Guard” below. This is a solid structure, and has earned a place on the Register (#98001589).” (http://www.waymarking.com)
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMBJB3_Okmulgee_Armory_Okmulgee_OK NRHP Registration Form: www.ocgi.okstate.edu/shpo/nhrpdfs/98001589.pdf
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on November 9, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE