O'Bannon Woods State Park Shelter House CCC Camp S-86
Project type: CCC Camps, Forestry and Agriculture, Parks and Recreation
Site Survival: No Longer ExtantView Project in a Separate Window
The campsite is marked primarily by low stone walls and scattered foundations. The camp was occupied in December of 1934 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 517, which was comprised of young African-American boys. Upon completion of their work, the camp was discontinued in the fall of 1937 and Co. 517 moved on to another location.
DNR Historic Site and Structures Inventory, People, Parks, and Perceptions: A History and Appreciation of Indiana State Parks by Glory-June Greiff
Project originally submitted by Indiana DNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology on September 25, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE