The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements to the Oakland city zoo in 1935-36 when it was located in Sequoia Park (now Joaquin Miller Park). In 1939, the zoo relocated to its present site in Durant Park in the East Oakland hills.
WPA project cards show the approval of $4,791 toward “Enlargement of elephant paddock in Sequoia Park; clearing out young Acacia growth in Park” in 1935 and $17,940 for “Landscaping – Sequoia and Heights Parks – Oakland, etc.” in 1936
The WPA also built the Woodminster Amphitheater and Cascade in Joaquin Miller Park later in the 1930s.
WPA Project No. 65-3-4074, Approval Date 12-31-35 and WPA Project No. 65-3-863, Approval Date 3-31-36 - Fresno Public Library, San Joaquin Valley Heritage & Genealogy Center
Project originally submitted by Andrew Lavadiere on July 19, 2018.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE