Oak Knoll Sanatorium, plaque
The Oak Knoll Tuberculosis Sanatorium, built in 1939 on an "oak-wooded knoll", according to the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat, was renamed Norton Psychiatric in 1997. The PWA had contributed 45% of building costs. At the time, Sonoma County also applied for PWA funds to build nurses quarters at the hospital site- it is unknown whether these were actually built or if they still exist.
The building is located across Chanate Rd. from the main hospital building.
Submission by Jeremy Nichols. "County to Ask PWA Aid For New Tuberculosis Sanitarium." The Press Democrat, July 2, 1938, page 1. "PWA Grants $65,000 for Tubercular Unit." The Press Democrat, December 18, 1938, page 1.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE