The back of the building
The “Nursing and Health Professions Building” is among the four remnant buildings, out of nine, that had been built on A-State Campus during the depth of the depression. In September 1933, the ASU Board of Trustee considered plan for four new structures including “Education Building,” “Power Plant Building,” “Armory-Gymnasium,” and “Common Building.” The Common Building was later named “State Hall” in the mid of the 20th Century, then recently called “College of Nursing and Health Professions.” Interestingly, uniquely and funnily, the Common Building was built in 1935 from the top down. It was built as six-story building, on the site of the old razed YMCA building.
*Ruth Hawkins, Nancy Hendricks, Ron Looney, and Diana Monroe. Embrace The Past 1909-2009, Arkansas State University, 100 Years. 100 Stories. First Edition. USA: Arkansas State University, 2011. Page 40 and 43
*Lee A. Dew, “The ASU Story: A History of Arkansas State University, 1909-1967,” (USA: Arkansas State University Press, 1968), Page 28-30
Project originally submitted by Magdi Koutkat on August 1, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE