Two identical dorm buildings: Muller Hall and North Hall, were constructed at the same time as part of a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. The P.W.A. supplied a $65,454 grant for the project, whose total cost was $145,454.
North Hall was originally constructed as a men’s dormitory, and it is located at the intersection of Eagle Blvd. and Aggie Ave. Specifically, it is at the northwest corner of this intersection, facing along Eagle Blvd., kitty corner from Muller Hall (which fronts the east side of Aggie Ave.)
“These residence halls were completely built by hand; cement and bricks were off-loaded from trains and placed in wagons pulled by mules and horses to the construction sites. Both dormitories, measuring 170 feet by 72 feet, had three stories with one story a “half” basement. The dormitories’ combined occupancy equaled 200 students. Inside, the buildings contained reception areas, recreation rooms, and air conditioning. The women’s dormitory, eventually named Muller Hall, featured a cafeteria. The men’s residence hall became North Hall. The original contract for the buildings did not include furniture, so students enrolled in industrial arts courses made the walnut furniture for the students’ rooms. Even after students moved in in September 1939, workmen had yet to finish the basements. Therefore, workers dug out the basement and poured the dirt outside through open basement windows and then mixed the concrete and poured it inside the building through the basement windows to complete the structure.”
P.W.A. Project No. OK [X]1267
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 177.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 5, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE