Concord School from Concord Road - southwest view
This two-story brick building served the Concord School District of Clackamas County when it was built in 1936. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a grant and local voters approved a bond for the local contribution in the $60,000 structure’s construction.
Portland architect F. Marion Stokes designed the simple, modernist style building with pared down classical details. Malarkey & Kallander, Portland contractors, built the school. The local newspaper noted that twenty-five men were put to work in its construction.
Concord School served as a grade school until 2014 when the building was acquired by the North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District for its programs.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Clackamas Has Full Quota on PWA Payrolls," Oregonian. April 26, 1936.
"Concord School District Votes Building Bonds," Oregonian. July 9, 1935.
"Work Speeded on Clackamas County Jobs," Oregonian. June 28, 1936.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 15, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE