Riddick Stadium, birds eye viewRiddick Stadium and Field House, on the NC State campus. NCSU Library © Creative Commons BY-NC-ND Ca. 1940
In 1933, North Carolina State College developed plans for new concrete stands to seat about 16,000 spectators at the existing Riddick Stadium on campus. That same year funding from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation allowed construction of several sections of concrete stands on the east side of the stadium. In 1934, funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) allowed construction of the final section of the east stands. In 1935, additional PWA funding resulted in construction of all sections of concrete stands on the west side of stadium. The original plans called for concrete stands on the south side to connect the east and west stands (thus forming a “U”), but this was never realized. Instead, PWA funding allowed for construction of a field house on the south side in 1936-1937/8.
NC State’s football team played in the stadium through the 1965 season. The university razed the east stands in 1968, but the west stands and field house remained until 2005 when they, too, were demolished. The site was later occupied by SAS Hall and an adjacent parking lot.
North Carolina State University, Office of the Chancellor, John William Harrelson Records (UA 002.001.002), Boxes 3, 6; North Carolina State University, Office of Finance and Administration, Facilities Division, Design and Construction Services Department Records (UA 003.004), Boxes 116-117; Technician [student newspaper], various issues, including the following:
NC State Alumni News, various issues, including April 1937 (p. 9) and the following:
Accessed July 2019. All sources held by NC State University Libraries, Special Collections Research Center.
Project originally submitted by Todd Kosmerick on July 16, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE