“Norris Dam State Park is a state park in Anderson County and Campbell County, Tennessee, in the southeastern United States. The park is situated along the shores of Norris Lake, an impoundment of the Clinch River created by the completion of Norris Dam in 1936. The park consists of 4,038 acres (16.34 km2) managed by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation.
The east section of Norris Dam State Park was developed in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps as a “demonstration recreational project” of the Tennessee Valley Authority. The CCC built a lodge, several rustic cabins, and an amphitheater. The land was sold to the State of Tennessee in 1953. The state developed the more modern west section of the park in the 1970s, and obtained control of the marina in 1986.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norris_Dam_State_Park Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee’s New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press. Van West, C. (December 25, 2009). Norris Dam State Park. Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture. Retrieved from http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=1003
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE