Newton Friends [Quaker] Meeting House in Camden, New Jersey was the city’s first house of worship. According to the Federal Writers’ Project:
“Built in 1801[?] on ground donated by Joseph Kaighn, was the first house of worship in Camden. It is a two-and-one-half-story rectangular building, of post-Colonial design, constructed of red brick with white trim. Quakers
met here until 1915. In 1935 the building was restored with PWA funds under the direction of the Camden County Historical Society and is now [in 1939] used by the city for storage.”
"New Jersey, a guide to its present and past"; Federal Writers' Project, 1939 (page 235).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on July 9, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE