Rear View of Brown Hall
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the remodeling of Brown Hall at the New Mexico School of Mines in Socorro NM.
“Like many institutions of higher learning in New Mexico, the New Mexico School of Mines, as NMIMT was known then, took advantage of the New Deal federal assistance programs (PWA and WPA) to add new buildings and remodel existing buildings on campus. One of the new buildings from that period, Fitch Hall, is a two and one-half story, masonry and stucco, California Mission Revival style building which was completed in 1937. It has been placed on the New Mexico State Register of Historic Buildings, #1461 State Register 3-4-83.”
Additional New Deal projects on campus include:
- Brown Hall remodeled by PWA in 1938
- Cramer Hall remodeled by PWA in 1938
- Assay Laboratory was built by PWA in 1938
- Athletic field developed by WPA
- Carpentry shop developed by WPA
- Socorro CCC Camp buildings built by WPA were moved to campus in 1939 for temporary Bureau of Mines Offices
Public Art and Architecture in New Mexico 1933-1943: A Guide to the New Deal Legacy. 2012. Sunstone Press.
Kermit Project: http://kermitproject.org/newdeal/newmexico/
Project originally submitted by The Living New Deal on August 16, 2019.
Additional contributions by Frank da Cruz.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE