Naval Reserve Armory
From the National Register of Historic Places nomination file: “Built on the eve of World War II, on the southwest shore of Seattle’s Lake Union, the Naval Reserve Armory is a historically and architecturally significant structure closely associated with the history of the Navy in the Pacific Northwest, with Depression-era public works programs, with military mobilization during World War II, and with the role of the armed services in Seattle in the 20th century. Completed in 1942 using WPA funding, the Armory was a community-based project that the federal government eventually designated as an official National Defense Project at the start of World War II, and which servedas an Advanced Naval Training School during the war. It was renovated for use as a Naval Reserve Center during the nation’s initial Naval Reserve facilities program following the war and continued to serve as a center of Navy and Marine training and preparedness in Seattle until the last decade of the 20th century. The building meets Criterion A, for its association with the mobilization during World War II and as a signifier of the close relationship between the Seattle community and the armed services in the 20th century; and Criterion C, as an example of an austere Art Deco/PWA Moderne building as designed by William R. Grant and Marcus Priteca.” The building now houses the Museum of History and Industry.
Sonja Sokol Furesz and Susan Boyle, "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Naval Reserve Armory," National Park Service (2009).
Project originally submitted by John Stehlin on July 26, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE