Naval Militia Armory"All work on this Naval Militia Armory in Queens was done by WPA labor." National Archives and Records Administration, Neg. 2187-C.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed additions to the drill hall at the Naval Militia Armory in Whitestone, New York.
“The only active, federally-recognized Naval Militia with continuous, unbroken service to the Country and State for more than a century and a history stretching back to the Revolution, housed in the former club house of the Whitestone Yacht Club.”
“The New York Naval Militia’s heritage spans over two centuries, dating back to the American Revolution. The first naval battle of the Revolutionary War was fought on Lake Champlain in 1776 by New York Militiamen manning the ships of a small American squadron.”
The New York Times: "$52,410,007 SPENT BY WPA IN QUEENS," Sept. 27, 1937 (pg. 23)
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on April 5, 2017.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE