“Natrona County High School was originally known as Casper High School in its early days. The current building was constructed between 1924 and 1941 in Collegiate Gothic style. It was partially built under the authority of the Works Progress Administration; the crest of the WPA visible in the sidewalks on the front campus. In exchange for the federal assistance, male student participation in the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps was mandatory until a few years after Kelly Walsh High School opened in 1965. The JROTC at NCHS is the second oldest unit in the nation and will be celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2014.
The school’s swimming pool was the first indoor pool in the state.”
The Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) built “a stadium for the athletic field at Natrona County High School in Casper”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natrona_County_High_School "Places of Learning: Historical Context of Schools in Wyoming," prepared for the Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office Planning and Historic Context Development Program, Wyoming State Parks & Cultural Resources. http://wyoshpo.state.wy.us/pdf/WyomingSchoolsContext.pdf (pg. 120, .pdf pg. 122)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 14, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE