Springweiler bas-relief, Elephant House, National Zoo - Washington DC
Erwin Springweiler designed the sculptures of elephants and mammoths above the interior doors in the Elephant House at National Zoo.
The actual carving was done by Lombard & Ludwig, architectural sculptors, during construction of the Elephant House in 1936-37.
These works were paid for by the Treasury Relief Arts Project (TRAP).
Virginia Price, Historic American Building Survey, National Zoological Park Elephant House, HABS No. DC-777-C, c. 2006. Washington DC: National Park Service.
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on January 7, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE