National Training School for Boys - Washington DC
The National Training School for Boys was a federal juvenile detention center for boys under seventeen, located in the Fort Lincoln area of Washington, DC.
In 1935-37, Works Progress Administration (WPA) relief labor was used to make various improvements around the school.
The WPA work card on the project has these details: “Landscape and improve grounds at National Training School for Boys; Enlarge and improve athletic fields at National Training School for Boys; Improve grounds at the National Training School for Boys, including terracing, sloping banks, cutting, filling, and grading, seeding, constructing structures for gully control, and performing appurtenant work; for erosion control and utilization…”
Work: A Journal of Progress reported that the WPA’s activities on the site included, “beautification of grounds, care of orchards and trees, building of walks and roads, and soil erosion control,” plus improvement of the physical plant.
The school was closed down in May 1968. Current status of the facilities is unknown.
National Archives, Record Group 69, “Microfilmed Index to WPA Projects.”
“2,000 jobless here get work on PWA (sic) jobs,” Washington Post, November 30, 1935, p. 15
District of Columbia Works Progress Administration, “A School of Opportunity,” Work: A Journal of Progress, Vol. 1, No. 4, Dec. 1936, p. 38
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - https://nddaily.blogspot.com on June 25, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE