The New Jersey National Guard Armory located near McGinley Square in Jersey City, New Jersey, was constructed during the Great Depression with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building is still in use and also serves as a recreational facility.
“This armory provides quarters for one battalion of infantry, one battalion of engineers, two medical units, and one division of the naval militia. The large drill hall is on the street level and has banks of seats on two sides. Under these seats are eight company rooms and equipment storage rooms, and on two mezzanine floors are four more company rooms and individual space for future rooms.
The structure is fireproof and is supported on piles. The exterior walls are brick with a granite base and terra cotta trim.
The building is 248 by 321 feet in plan. It was completed in February 1936 at a construction cost of $1,038,276 and a project cost of $1,098,330.”
(Short and Brown)
PWA Docket No. 8022
Later, the WPA undertook these related projects: “Demolishing curb and sidewalks at Armory and construction, laying and finishing sidewalks along structure” (Official Project Number: 65‐22‐951), and “Improve grounds around Montgomery Street Armory”.
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
Nationwide Context, Inventory, and Heritage Assessment of Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps Resources on Department of Defense Installations, July 2009 (page C-113).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 17, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE