In 1935, Congress was considering legislation that would provide Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds for the construction of National Guard armories for communities whose National Guard units were currently renting space. If communities would provide a square block of land, deeded to the state, the federal government would loan the community $25,000.00 for a standard plan armory. Hartington was among the communities that indicated an interest in the program. In late September, Hartington was given notification that they had been selected for one of the $25,000.00 grants.
Columbus Daily Telegram, 17 April 1935. Columbus Daily Telegram, 30 September 1935.
Project originally submitted by Jill Dolberg on July 24, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE