“The Guthrie Armory was constructed between 1935 and 1937 by the Works Progress Administration. With sandstone quarried on-site, using local, unskilled labor, this building is typical of WPA construction in Oklahoma. This is a one-story building, 125 x 140 feet, located in a residential/recreational area known as Highland Park. The architect was Bryan W. Nolen. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
…The building has an Art Deco appearance, with the placement of recessed stonework on the front, and the projected pilasters rising to a stepped parapet. The building has its original windows and overhead doors. Some mortar was replaced in the 1970s, and the two wood doors at the main entrance were replaced by a metal door in 1990. Other than this, the building retains its original structure.
…The building appears to be vacant at this time, however, might possibly still be used for arms storage.” (waymarking,com)
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on November 27, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE