National Guard Armory - Williamsburg KYPhoto: Ernest Everett Blevins, MFA © All Rights Reserved 13 March 2019
In 1942, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed work on a National Guard armory designed by Edd Gregg for Williamsburg. The building is a 2-story poured concrete building with a modern deco style.
From the Kentucky National Guard History eMuseum:
The first armory was built by the Works Progress Administration in 1942, and was located close to downtown on Bridge Street. The old Williamsburg Armory was designed by Louisville architect Edd R. Gregg, who designed six other armories in Kentucky in the same style. The armory is a two-story poured concrete building with attached maintenance garage/drill hall. Currently, the old armory is being leased to Cumberland College, who uses the building for storage purposes. The Commonwealth of Kentucky agreed to a 99-year lease to the College in exchange for the 5 acres of land on which the current armory sits. The exterior of the building is in fair condition, and on the interior, the vast majority of the building’s original features are intact. The original wooden drill hall floor is still there, most of the windows are original, and the original wooden doors and radiators are intact as well. Sergeant Tony Jones, armory manager at the new facility remembers that the old armory “… was in good shape and had been altered very little when we (the Guard) moved out in 1982.” Equipment and vehicles were stored at the old armory until the Guard moved to their new facility in 1982.
Kate Carothers, Kentucky Heritage Council -- Report No. 25, "Inventory and Evaluation of National Guard Armories in the State of Kentucky" (1999).
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on June 19, 2015.
Additional contributions by Ernest Everett Blevins, MFA, May 20, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE