“The Philadelphia National Cemetery was established at its current site in 1885 in order to consolidate Civil War burials located in seven regional private cemeteries. The cemetery’s first rostrum or speaker’s stand for ceremonial use was built in 1888. The existing rostrum was built in 1938-39 as part of a Works Progress Administration project that funded a number of improvements to the cemetery’s grounds and facilities. It takes the form of a semicircular Tuscan-order temple.”
Library of Congress: Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on July 30, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE