The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)’s Camp Fernow, which housed Company #183, was stationed at Natchaug State Forest in Eastford, Connecticut. The camp was established June 29, 1933 and was discontinued May 28, 1941.
Among other projects independently listed on other pages, work included: “tree planting, 8 miles of truck trails, improvements to the Forest Ranger’s house, and construction of the Eastern District sawmill, a sawdust and plainer shed, a warehouse, a machine shop, and the 3 lumber sheds that supplied the entire eastern half of Connecticut.”
Historical Museum of the Civilian Conservation Corps, Shenipsit State Forest: exhibit information
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 2, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE