The WPA constructed a 4-H Club building for the Muskogee Fairgrounds in 1936. A 1985 Oklahoma Historical Landmarks survey of extant WPA properties describes the building:
“The 4-H Club building on the Muskogee County Fairgrounds is a single story structure that is composed to two intersecting units… The structure is constructed of colorful uncut native stone laid randomly with beaded mortar…
The 4-H Club building is an excellent example of the interpretation the WPA gave to ‘useful.’ The building was used by 4-H Club members during fair time as a dormitory and exhibit hall. Thus its educational and commercial purpose fit well with WPA guidelines… The structure is also an excellent example of WPA vernacular architecture.”
The 4-H building is still referenced in fairground posts, and is, to our knowledge, still the original structure.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE