Texas Women's University Music Hall
Originally known as the Music and Speech Building, TWU’s Music Hall was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. “[Also formerly] called the Household Arts Building and the second major instructional facility on campus … it currently houses the School of Arts as well as the music and drama departments.” (www.twu.edu)
“Among several new units constructed by the College of Industrial Arts is the music hall which is an addition to the front of the existing auditorium.
The structure is 3 stories in height and contains 10 standard classrooms, 22 small classrooms, 19 practice rooms, and a small auditorium for group work. A large foyer provides entrance to both the music hall and to the auditorium.
Construction is reinforced concrete, with the exterior walls faced with brick and trimmed with stone.
The project was completed in June 1937 at a construction cost of $160,289 and a project cost of $172,783, both estimated.”
(Short and Brown)
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939). https://www.twu.edu/tour/music.asp
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE