Postcard showing the NYA-built Murray Woman’s ClubhouseCurteich-Chicago Postcards, Unknown year
In 1938, the National Youth Administration (NYA) constructed the Murray Woman’s Club Clubhouse. It is made of limestone and was built in the Tudor Revival architectural style.
During World War II, “The Red Cross set up hospital rooms in the clubhouse for training nurses aids. Members worked with the Red Cross rolling bandages for hospitals and in making kits for soldiers overseas and dinners and dances for soldiers were also hosted by the club” (Murray Ledger & Times, 2017).
Today, the Murray Woman’s Club Clubhouse is a Kentucky Landmark, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is rented out to provide funds for the non-profit Murray Woman’s Club.
This NYA building is a great example of how New Deal investments continue to provide a benefit to communities and organizations across the country.
“Murray Woman's Club Clubhouse,” National Register of Historic Places (accessed August 12, 2021).
“This and That,” Murray Ledger & Times, August 12, 2017 (accessed August 12, 2021).
“Our Clubhouse,” Murray Woman’s Club (accessed August 12, 2021).
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on August 12, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE