Murray Common School, Cornerstone and Foundation Remains
The Murray Common School was built in 1935 at a cost of $5,000, and was constructed in two months. The school building was still in use as a community center in 1972, however, the rock structure was demolished at some point after that. Workers from the Newcastle area were transported to Murray in a Ford Model T pickup truck owned by B. C. “Slats” Wooldridge. The project is not documented as to agency, however there was a CCC camp in nearby Graham which constructed other school buildings in the area.
D. D. Cusenbary Memoirs (1972. Early days in Murray community. Retrieved from rootsweb.ancestry.com
Dorman Holub. Personal communication March 18, 2013. Young County Historian.
G. R. Wooldridge. Personal communication March 13, 2013.
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on October 8, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE