“Munson Valley Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 for its landscaping and eighteen of the buildings. During the 1930’s and 1940’s, landscape architects Thomas Vint, Merel Sager, and Francis Lange oversaw the development of the rustic landscape around Munson Valley at almost every level. The landscaping of Munson Valley no longer has much of the original work of Vint, Sager, Lange and the CCC, but the layout and natural placement of buildings still remains.
Some of the historically significant buildings within the Munson Valley Historic District include:
- Administration Building
- Ranger Dormitory
- Superintendent’s Residence (now housing part of the Science and Learning Center)
- Chief Naturalist’s Residence (also housing the Science and Learning Center)
- Employees Stone Houses
- Mess Hall/Bunkhouse
- Various utility buildings including the Machine Shop, Garage and wood shed, Transformer House, Meat House, and Sign Shop [former public comfort station].
These buildings exemplify the rustic style of the National Parks Service.”
"Munson Valley Historic District," Crater Lake National Park Trust
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE