The Municipal Water System Pumping Station is located at the corner of E. Main (MS 6) and Elliott Avenue at 34.089206, -88.621181. The small brick building is marked with a Public Works Administration dedication plaque. Concrete holding tanks remain at the rear of the building, but are not in use. The water tower (next to the pumping station) was fabricated by Taylor Iron Works. Consulting engineers were Totten & Loving and the builder/contractor was Blair, Algernon, Construction Company. The project Miss.1081 was supported by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works with a loan of $37,000 and grant of $30,272. It was approved 2/5/1936, construction began 8/13/36, and was completed 4/15/37 for a total cost of $67,304. The new system was dedicated June 18, 1937.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resource Inventory, Nettleton. Retrieved September 3, 2020 from:
Report No. 5, Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. (Jan 3, 1940). Region No. 3 Mississippi. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 105.
Jackson School Projects Filed. (Sep 3, 1935). Clarion-Ledger, p. 12.
Bids Called on 5 PWA Projects. (May 1, 1936). Clarion-Ledger, p. 13.
$67,000 System Dedication Set. (May 7, 1937). Clarion-Ledger, p. 1.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 24, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE