Spokane, WA WPA-Sponsored Municipal Sewers Map
In December 1935 the WPA approved $140,680 for a “Manito sewer project and lateral sewers” in Spokane, Washington. Spokane’s Daily Chronicle detailed the locations of these sewer projects.
The primary ‘Manito’ sewer project, located largely within the present neighborhood of Comstock, was allocated $50,600 by the WPA and involved trenching and backfilling the following streets and alleys:[For a total length of approximately 0.8 miles:] “Arthur from Thirty-sixth to Thurston, Thurston from Arthur to Conklin, Conklin from Thurston to Forty-first, Forty-first from Conklin to alley between Conklin and Garfield, alley between Conklin and Garfield from Forty-first to Forty-second, Forty-second from alley between Conklin and Garfield to alley between Garfield and Scott, alley between Garfield and Scott from Forty-second to Forty-third, [Forty-third from] alley between Garfield and Scott to Hatch.”
An additional 0.8 miles of sewers to be constructed as part of the primary Manito project were to located:
“on Gra[nd] boulevard and Hatch from Thirty-seventh to Forty-second, on Hatch from Forty-second to Forty-third, Fortieth from alley between Hatch and Grand boulevard to alley between Sherman and Latawah.”
"Local Works Project Administration Reveals Details of Sewer Projects"; Spokane Daily Chronicle, Dec. 13, 1935 (page 6).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 2, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE