A huge amount of road, street, and sidewalk infrastructure work employed hundreds of the unemployed all throughout the life of the New Deal by the CWA, FERA, and WPA. Town reports throughout the 1930s document such work in Nashua, NH. In 1934, 23 projects were “completed in whole or in part by C. W. A. and F. E. R. A. funds, to an amount of many thousands of dollars.” This work included projects on North Hollis Road, Bloods Crossing Road, Charlotte Avenue, East Dunstable Road, Ferry Road, East, Conant Road, Hills Ferry Road, Removal of Carbarn on Kinsley Street.
In 1935, the town had WPA help to widen roads, and eliminate dangerous curves and grades. In 1936, the WPA improved sidewalks and curbs in Nashua and helped widen, grade, gravel and tar surrounding farm-to-market roads. Many streets in town were similarly improved with WPA labor. Also in 1936, the WPA helped with reconstruction after a serious flood.
In 1937-1938, the WPA helped construct a highway from the junction of West Hollis Street to the Hollis, N. H. line. In 1938, the WPA also widened and otherwise improved many streets in town. WPA road work in Nashua continued through 1941.
ANNUAL REPORT OF THE MUNICIPAL GOVERNMENT OF THE CITY OF NASHUA, N. H. FOR THE FINANCIAL YEAR 1933 to 1942
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on July 20, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE