A municipal report from 1934 describes early New Deal work in Houlton:
R.F.C. work included a High School lot project:
“Mr. Brown approved the High School lot project for Houlton, and an allowance of $3,000 per month to carry on the work, the work to begin May 1st, 1933…
The labor for filling, grading, landscaping, tree cutting and tree surgery on the High School lot kept some 100 men in two crews per week on half time employment for nine weeks.
Besides the High School lot, the Chairman personally supervised the building of six small houses which were occupied when built by those unable at that time to own or rent homes. Besides these two projects, about $1,000 was spent from R. F. C. for labor putting certain roads in passable condition in the early spring.”
C.W.A. projects “accomplished, or in the course of accomplishment, have been or are, the McNally drain; the Madigan Hospital and Town drain; gravelling the Bangor and Ludlow Roads; placing fill on State Street; and the building of the Dam on B. Stream.
These projects were approved on condition that the town pay half the expense of pipe and materials on the McNally and Madigan Hospital drains. This approximates $2,800 and appears in an article of the Town Warrant for appropriation.”
ANNUAL REPORT OF THE Selectmen, Treasurer, Assessors and Other Officers of the Town of HOULTON FOR THE MUNICIPAL YEAR ENDING MARCH 1, 1934
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on May 31, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE