Bethel, Connecticut’s town hall (also known as the Clifford J. Hurgen Municipal Center) was originally constructed as the town’s high school; its construction was enabled by the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the 1930s.
According to Wikipedia, “A new [high school] building was built in 1939 on what later became School Street, and additions to its main building were made over the next few years. The School Street building is now the Bethel Municipal Center (Town Hall).”
The PWA gave the community a grant of $99,477, and the school project cost a total of $197,451. PWA completion documents declare that construction on the building began August 1938; the building was completed at the end of 1939.
PWA Docket No. CT 1269.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethel_High_School_%28Connecticut%29
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 18, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE