Warren, PA Municipal Building
Warren, Pennsylvania’s historic Municipal Building was constructed between 1936 and 1937 with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. PWA Docket No. PA W1452.
“This structure replaces a municipal building which was 70 years old, which had been remodeled several times, and had passed the point of economic usefulness.
The new building contains offices for the burgess, borough clerk, city engineer, police department, health department and welfare clinic, and the council chambers. There is a pistol range in the basement, a jail with eight double cells, a dormitory for transients, and some unfinished space for future expansion.
The structure is fireproof. Foundation and basement walls are concrete, floors are reinforced concrete slabs supported by steel beams, and the roof is slate over wood sheathing supported by steel trusses. The exterior walls are faced with sand-finished handmade red brick with limestone trim except that the cornices and cupola are wood.
The plan is H-shaped, 137 by 101 feet over all. The construction was completed in January 1937 at a construction cost of $92,307 and a project cost of $119,274.”
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).