Lead, South Dakota’s striking Art Deco Municipal Building was constructed as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression, although construction is sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA; see Lead Historic Preservation). The building “allowed the city to consolidate the various city offices, a courtroom and the fire department under one roof.”
The PWA provided a $31,909 grant toward the project, whose total cost was $79,165. Construction occurred between Nov. 1936 and Dec. 1937.
PWA Docket No. S.D. 1042-R
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 155.
Lead Historic Preservation: https://leadhistoricpreservation.org/walking-tour/featured-properties (accessed Jul. 18, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Barbara Pendleton and Evan Kalish on July 18, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE