Municipal Beach Swimming Pool – Wichita KS
Wichita Municipal Beach Swimming Pool was built in 1938 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. The pool replaced an earlier municipal pool built in 1923.
The new pool cost $50,000 to construct. At 240 feet long and 125 feet wide, the pool sloped from a depth of two to nine feet. It also contained 38 underwater flood lights of 1000 watts each. In addition to the main deck, there were two smaller pools nearby designed for children.
The Municipal Beach Swimming Pool was the crown jewel of the Wichita parks and recreation system. It opened to a deluge of residents during the summer season of 1938. There were several neighborhood pools maintained throughout the city during the 1920s and 1930s, but annual attendance at Municipal Beach dwarfed the other facilities.
Situated on a curve in the Arkansas River, the splendor of the Municipal Beach Swimming Pool reflected the social vision of the New Deal.
Today, the pool has been replaced by the Ralph Wulz Tennis Center, which was built in 1976.
Wichita State University Special Collections Subject Search https://specialcollections.wichita.edu/collections/local_history/tihen/pdf/People&Places/Municipal_Beach.PDF
Wichita Photo Archives: https://www.wichitaphotos.org/searchresults.asp?txtinput=Parks&offset=20
Orville Frantz, Jr., “Parks Prepare for Swimming Season,” Parks & Recreation, May 1939 (?)
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on June 4, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE